Help Us to Make the World a Better Place For All
Vegetarian Victoria’s Objectives
The Purposes of Vegetarian Victoria are:
- To promote the health, animal welfare, and environmental benefits of vegetarianism and veganism.
- To provide quality service, support and up-to-date information to vegetarians and vegans and the general community.
- To distribute a periodical newsletter of relevance to vegetarians and vegans.
- To promote vegetarian foods and related businesses and services.
- To hold regular social events.
- To work in co-operation with other vegetarian and vegan associations and groups in Australia.
Volunteering with Vegetarian Victoria
Vegetarian Victoria (VegVic), established in 1998, is a community-based, not-for-profit organisation in Melbourne.
It is run by people who care about human health, animal welfare and the environment.
Our aim is to promote the many benefits of vegetarianism, and provide quality service, support and up-todate information to vegetarians, vegans and the general community.
Run by Volunteers
Vegetarian Victoria is a not-for-profit organisation run entirely by the goodwill and hard work of volunteers.
Our network provides free support to all vegetarians, vegans and interested individuals throughout Victoria.
Without our dedicated volunteers, our network would not exist!
We’d like to say a big thank you to all those that have made the network what it is today, and extend an invitation for new volunteers to get involved.
Anyone can help out whether vegetarian, vegan or simply interested. Volunteering is a great way to meet new people, learn all the latest veg information and help to make the world a more compassionate, friendlier and smarter place.
There are many ways you can help out Vegetarian Victoria, with as little or as much involvement as you like.
Below are some projects Vegetarian Victoria regularly organises. If any of these sound appealing then join the gang!
We regularly attend festivals, expos and fairs to help raise awareness of our organisation and vegetarianism in the general community.
The stalls are a fun way of helping out, and a great opportunity to meet new people. Festivals are scarce in the colder seasons, so check back when it warms up a bit!
Here are some ways you can assist us with our stalls program:
- Staffing stalls (in shifts)
- Printing info sheets
- Ideas for merchandise
- Set up and pack up
- Transport on the day
- Keeping an eye out for events with free stalls for not-for-profit organisations
Vegetarian Victoria holds regular social events and get togethers including our major event World Vegan Day (see www.worldveganday.org.au for more information).
Organisation of these events requires a lot of hard work from our dedicated group of event organisers, and any help is greatly appreciated.
Here are some of the events we organise as well as programs planned for the future:
- World Vegan Day
- Trivia night
- Formal Ball
- Social outings (dinners, picnics, bike rides, movies, walks etc.)
- Cooking demonstrations (vegan)
- Workshops (how to make your own skincare products etc.)
A major focus of the network is to raise awareness of the positive aspects of a healthy vegetarian lifestyle.
There are several projects we are currently focussed on and others we’d like to develop such as mobile displays, and general information nights.
- Talks (universities, general public, schools etc.)
- Information nights
- Displays (libraries, schools, community centres etc.)
- Information sheet development
- Website development and maintenance
Other projects are being developed all the time.
With new ideas and fresh eyes, there’s always a chance that a great idea will be suggested that no one has thought of before, perhaps it will be you that suggests it!
- Product research
- Alcoholic beverage research
- Production of restaurant guide/booklet
- Design of posters/badges/t-shirts
- Media watch
- Coordination of displays in public libraries
- Production of articles for Vegetarian Victoria Matters newsletter
- Organisation of social events Restaurant surveys
If you think you’d like to become involved with Vegetarian Victoria as a volunteer, please click here to be added to the volunteer email list. We appreciate every effort made to help us get the message out there! Thanks, and hopefully we’ll see you soon !
From everyone on the VegVic Volunteer Team.
Bare Cravings Presents a Veg Vic Recipe Video
Vegetarian Victoria would like to thank the following individuals, businesses and organisations for their support and contributions. Please consider them whenever you can.
General Vegetarian Victoria Supporters
Mark Surdut – Dietitian
PO Box 296, Elsternwick VIC 3185, ph: 0404 043 563
Mark Surdut, The Nutritionist, is an Accredited Practising Diatitian based in Melbourne. well as consulting with individual clients he presents workshops and educational forums too.
Mark has generously assisted with the answering of nutrition and health-related enquiries.
Sweet William Dairy Free Chocolate
26/30-32 Perry Street, Matraville NSW 2036, ph: 02 9316 7177
Manufacturers of dairy-free chocolates that are completely cholesterol-free and lactose-free.
Can be purchased from department stores, supermarkets, 7-11’s etc.
2 Paddington Street, Paddington NSW 2021, ph: 02 9357 0723
Voiceless, the fund for animals, plays a leading role in the development of a cutting edge social justice movement, animal protection.
To build and fortify the animal protection movement, Voiceless:
– gives grants to key projects which create the groundswell for social change;
– cultivates the animal law community through the provision of leadership, educational opportunities and resources; and
– raises awareness of animal protection issues within the education system in order to strengthen democratic skills, promote critical thinking and encourage advocacy amongst students.
Vegetarian Victoria received a major grant from Voiceless.
The grant was used for the development and production of a 16 page Eating Up The World booklet.
Trivia Night Sponsors
Cruelty Free Shop
113 Queensbridge Street, Southbank VIC 3006, ph: 03 9686 9188
- 334 Bridge Road, Richmond VIC 3121, ph: 03 9427 9898
- Stall 2, Sth Melb Market, Coventry Street, South Melbourne VIC 3205, ph: 03 9681 3109
- Stall 120, Prahran Market, 163 Commercial Road, South Yarra VIC 3141, ph: 03 9826 6114
- 11A Fitzroy Street, St Kilda VIC 3182, ph: 03 8598 9090
Las Vegan Bakery & Cafe
22 Smith Street, Collingwood VIC 3066, ph: 03 9415 9001
Lord of the Fries
Ph: 0423 067 175
- Flinders Street Station, Melbourne VIC 3000
- 26 Elizabeth Street (Cnr Flinders Street), Melbourne VIC 3000
- Melbourne Central, Cnr LaTrobe & Swanston Streets, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Chadstone Shopping Centre, 1341 Dandenong Road, Chadstone VIC 3148
Mr Natural Vegetarian Pizza
469 Brunswick Street, Fitzroy VIC 3065, ph: 03 9481 7775
223 Barkly Street, St Kilda VIC 3182, ph: 03 9534 2542
New Holland Publishers
Unit 1, 66 Gibbes Street, Chatswood, NSW 2067, ph: 02 8986 4700
Orgran Natural Foods
47-53 Aster Avenue, Carrum Downs VIC 3201, ph: 03 9776 9044
Highpoint Shopping Centre, Maribyrnong VIC 3032, ph: 03 9317 9082
99 Patterson Street, Ringwood East VIC 3135, ph: 03 8802 0679 or 0413 679 594
Sunnybrook Health Store
553 North Road, Ormond VIC 3204, ph: 03 9578 6400
Unit 26, 30-32 Perry Street, Matraville NSW 2036, ph: 1300 656 223
452 Lygon Street, Brunswick East VIC 3057, ph: 03 9384 6200
Vincent’s Vegetarian Food Mart
363 Barkly Street, Footscray VIC 3011, ph: 03 9687 0808 or 03 9325 1188